Grace Grace was first elected to State Parliament in October 2007 and remained the Member for Brisbane Central until March 2012.
She was re-elected as the Member for Brisbane Central in January 2015 and again in November 2017 after the seat was re-named McConnel.
Grace was appointed Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations, Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs in December 2015 and successfully implemented a series of important legislative reforms including the Racing Integrity Act, the Multicultural Recognition Act and the Industrial Relations Act 2016.
Following the 2017 state election, Grace was appointed Minister for Education and Minister for Industrial Relations – both areas she is passionate about.
Grace understands the importance of education and her tireless advocacy in this area will see a new high school built in Fortitude Valley to be opened by 2020.
During her career, Grace has had extensive board experience with organisations including Sunsuper, Energex and the Jupiters Casino Community Benefit Fund.
She has worked with local community organisations in her electorate including P&Cs, the New Farm Neighbourhood Centre, Teneriffe Progress Association, Queensland Aids Council (QuAC), Fortitude Valley Chamber of Commerce and many others.
Grace has lived her whole life in her electorate where she and her husband Michael raised their daughter, Alex.
- Minister for Education and Minister for Industrial Relations: 12 Dec 2017
- Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs: 8 Dec 2015 - 11 Dec 2017
- Deputy Speaker: 26 Mar 2015 - 16 Feb 2016
- Member, Parliamentary Crime and Misconduct Committee: 16 Jun 2011 - 17 May 2012
- Member, Ethics Committee: 16 Jun 2011 - 23 Mar 2012
- Deputy Government Whip: 22 Jun 2011 - 19 Feb 2012
- Member, Scrutiny of Legislation Committee: 23 Apr 2009 - 30 Jun 2011
- Member, Public Accounts Committee: 30 Oct 2007 - 20 Mar 2009
- Member, Estimates Committee D: 2008 - 2008
- Member, Review of Organ and Tissue Donation Procedures Select Committee: 12 May 2008 - 28 Nov 2008
- General Secretary, Queensland Council of Unions, October 2000 - October 2007;
- Assistant General Secretary, Queensland Council of Unions, July 1995 - October 2000;
- Advisor, the Hon Gary Johns, Ass Minister for Industrial Relations, February 1994 - July 1995;
- Industrial Officer, ACTU Queensland Branch, October 1990 - February 1994;
- Industrial Officer, Finance Sector Union, February 1980 - October 1990
- Bachelor of Labour Studies;
- Associate Diploma in Industrial Relations;
- Masters/Graduate Diploma Level - Harvard Trade Union Program;
- Certificate of Superannuation Management (ASFA)
- First woman elected as General Secretary, Queensland Council of Unions.
- Awarded Centenary Medal.
- Fellow Safety Institute of Australia FISA (Hon).
- Member of the Sicilian Association of Queensland and other local community organisations.
- Patron of the Queensland Asbestos Related Disease Support Society.
- Former Board Member of the Jupiters Casino Community Benefit Fund
- Past Governor of the Queensland Community Foundation.